Vitamin B1 (thiamine) plays an essential role in the assimilation and utilization of sugar by the cells. It is engaged in the indication of sensors signals, performs a part in the proper performing of the center and the security of sensors cells and intestinal system..It results in beri beri or Wernicke’s problem.Daily needs came to an baby to 0.4 mg for a child up to 12 years from 0.8 to 1.2 mg for an mature and 1.3 to 1.8 mg for expecting and breast feeding women to 1 , 8mg.
WHAT IS BERI BERI ?
The disease beri beri is the most common manifestation of serious Vitamin B1 deficiency.It is characterized by an inflammation and degeneration of nerve trunks,producing disturbances of both motion and sensation.Beri Beri occurs most frequently among people whose diet consists of polished rice but anybody who live s chiefly on highly refined starchy or sugary foods may get it.
It develops in infants,especially those nursed by mothers who have this disease.Correction of diet helps in improvement and in fact complete recovery also.How ever ,sensation and heart actions can never be restored.
SYMPTOMS OF BERI BERI:
Its symptoms include:
- Loss of appetite
- Weakening of patient especially from legs
- Muscles tend to waste away
- Partial paralysis
- Hear failure in most of the cases
- Sudden death may also result
Wernicke’s syndrome is also a condition caused by its deficiency .It occurs most commonly among heavy users of alcohol.It is characterized by included mental state ,weakness of the muscles which move the eyes, unsteadiness and deterioration of many of the nerves(peripheral neurithis).
WHAT TO DO ABOUT BERI BERI?
- Correct the diet.
- It abounds in the outer layers of the grains of rice ,wheat and other cereals.
- Fresh milk ,eggs ,brewer’s yeast,concentrated yeast extracts,pork and malt extract also contain generous amounts of Vitamin B1.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are also helpful.
- Among flesh foods,liver is the best.