Knee pain is a common concern which can be experienced by almost all individuals particularly the older generation and those who sustained certain types of physical injuries. The good news is that, there are now several medical remedies to help relieve that painful sensation. Of course, the particular type of treatment you are going to apply will depend on the cause of the condition or symptom.
The remedies or treatment for knee pain can generally be divided into three types or categories; knee surgery, the use of drugs and medications, or the home and natural remedies.
Knee surgery is considered the last resort for treating knee pain. It’s an invasive procedure that involves either the repair or replacement of the dysfunctional knee caps or joints. The need for surgery is essentially determined and advised by your doctor. This option is required if you already have; a severe case of osteoarthritis, severe knee injuries, when knee pains and inflammation is chronic, or perhaps, when a deformity on your knee forms.
Knee pain medications
If your knee problem is not severe, it can usually be resolved by using prescribed or over-the-counter medications. Majority of the drugs concocted for knee pain are generally pain relievers or the anti-inflammatory types. There are tablets or capsules that are taken orally, and there are also serums that are injected.
- The most common pain-relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs include aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and acetaminophen. On the other hand, examples of prescribed medications include the more potent NSAIDs and COX-2 inhibitors.
- Based on the recommendations of your doctor, serums or drugs that require direct injection to the affected knee can be a better and long-term solution for your knee pain. The two types of drugs injected are either the corticosteroids or the hyaluronic acid.
Home or natural remedies for knee pain
If there are surgical and medical alternatives for knee pain, the natural and home remedies shall never be absent. A lot of people employ these solutions not only because they can provide instant relief but also on their safety.
- Heat or cold therapy. One of the most immediate reliefs you could administer for knee pain is the heat or cold therapy otherwise known as the hot/cold compress. Knee pains are generally sensitive to temperature changes; hence, the opposing temperature could also give the patient some relief. For adults who experiences knee pains during the winter or cold seasons, a heat treatment is essential to warm-up those ligaments. On the other hand, the cold therapy is ideal for knee pains that are caused by knee or leg injuries.
- Oil massaging. Another option that can ease up that flaring up knee is by massaging it with essential or therapeutic oils. Aside from the oils’ natural healing capacity, the act of massaging also helps calm and sooth the aching knee.
- Use of supplements. If you are fond of taking health or herbal supplements, there are also those that naturally help relieve knee pain. Ideal supplements are those that contain a certain amount of glucosamine or chondroitin.
- Acupuncture. And if you are a believer of alternative medications, you might want to try acupuncture. It’s an ancient Chinese form of alternative healing that has already gained widespread approval and popularity.