Irritable bowel Syndrome is often called spastic colitis or spastic colon and sometimes intestinal neurosis ormucous colitis. Regardless of what it’s called, it is a disorder whereby the gut and bowel is extremely sensitive to the fluctuations of the nervous system.
Nervous System →Digestive System →Bowel
The result is a painful condition which can present with symptoms including:
- abdominal pain
- mucus in stools
- intolerance of certain foods
From a Naturopathic perspective, we will always be looking at the nervous system as the primary system to treat in Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Of course, we also need to address the symptoms by improving the digestive system including the stomach, liver and bowel.
At Moontides, our approach to IBS is to use the four R’s;
- Remove the offending or aggravating causes
- Reinoculate the gut with friendly bacteria, acidophilus
- Replace nutrients which may have been depleted through malabsorption
- Repair the damage caused.
- Eat a diet high in fibre including plenty of fruit, vegetables and whole grains.
- Supplement with fibre; psyllium husks, bran or flaxseed are good options.
- Also try LSA which is a mixture of linseed, sunflower and almonds and can be added to your breakfast cereal or sprinkled in salads.
- Aloe vera is a great supplement that can help with symptoms as well as repairing the damage to the intestinal walls.
- Limit all animal fats including dairy.
- Eat lean, preferably organic meats.
- Try soy alternative for milk, and use avocado or tahini as spreads instead of margarine or butter.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine and smoking as both of these will irritate the lining of the stomach and bowel and may exacerbate symptoms.
- Do not eat when angry or upset.
- Make mealtimes a pleasant experience that your nervous system and body can trust.
- Learn techniques that help you to relax.