Pulmonary embolism, an ailment related to lungs is mainly caused when any kind of body element blocks pulmonary artery or its any branches. Mostly, it will be a blood clot obstructing the blood flow in the artery.
Pulmonary embolism isn’t a rare health condition. It is common, however as its basic symptoms is similar to other ailments it is not easily unrecognizable. Not having treatment in early stage leads to falling prey to severe problem leading to hospitalization for treatment.
The risk factors of the ailment:
- Obesity – This condition of body leads to many ailments one such is pulmonary embolism.
- Smoking – It relates to inflammation in the blood vessels and thus formation of blood clots occurs resulting in the lung disease.
- Having grave injury or suffered from immobility because of injuries can be another factor that is responsible for the formation of blood clots in the body.
- Cancer and heart ailments trigger trauma that can cause malfunctioning of the lungs because of pulmonary embolism.
- Pregnancy can be a cause and thus it is better to check every few weeks before the delivering of the baby.
- If your medical history shows that you suffered from liver ailment, kidney related diseases or you had heart attack.
- Taking medications like birth control pills, had hormone replacement treatment, using steroids or antidepressant pills.
- Genetic conditions leading to blood hypercoagulable.
It will be highly beneficial to minimize the risk factors. There are effective treatments for pulmonary embolism, but you need to get treated in earlier stages to avoid complications. Hence, you need to know the symptoms that predict that you may be falling sick because of lung health issues.
The symptoms of this condition are as follows –
- You can experience pain in legs, have swelling in the calf area and redness. All these signs indicate that you have blood clots in the leg region.
- You feel chest pain and suffer short of breath.
- While coughing you split blood mixed with mucous.
If you feel any discomfort due to shortness of breath or feel your legs are paining and have swelling then it is best to consult a skilled doctor in your living area as quick as possible. Leading good life style doing regular exercise, not eating fatty food and avoid smoking are some lifestyle changes that you can adopt to curb this kind of diseases. To stay healthy you need to follow your doctor’s advise, thus to an extent you can avoid diseases like pulmonary embolism.